Monday, February 1, 2010

Festival Tips!

One of my favourite things about summer in Australia is the music festivals. It seems there is one on every weekend from the beginning of January until the end of February and generally no matter where your music tastes lie there is generally at least one that will cater to that genre.


This year i'm attending 2 the first will be Good Vibrations on the 13th of Feb with acts such as The Killers, Gossip, Salt n Pepa, Basement Jaxx etc. This is my first time going to a Good Vibrations festival so I really don't know what to expect. I am hoping it's well run and not full of douchebags, time will tell :)


The other festival i'm attending this year is the Soundwave Festival. This is more a punk/metal festival I guess? I've attended the last 3 years and once again it has an amazing line up. Faith No More are headlining which is huge! I have wanted to see them for years! I can't wait for this one, my timetable already looks to be pretty full on but it'll be a good day.


So i've been attending festivals since I went to my first Big Day Out in 1996 when I was 15 so i've learnt a lot of things that are helpful for the day and here I thought i'd write a couple of handy tips for the day plus a little bit on fashion and what is good to wear.


- My first tip is to organise your day as much as possible before you go. Download a timetable and print it off or get one from one of the free street press newspapers that have them (in Sydney it's usually Drum Media) Check the news pages/forums for the festival the night before to see any last minute changes or cancellations etc. This will help you have a good day being organised and your less likely to miss your favourite acts. Also try and get a copy of the map as well and work out where your stages are you need to go to. 


- Get there at a reasonable time if your band is on early. Lines to get in can take ages, I stood in one for 4 hours once and missed most of the bands I wanted to see that day. Take a bottle of water for the line, if your stuck in line with a mass of people and it's a hot day your going to need to rehydrate. You can hand in the bottle when you get to the security at the beginning of the line.


- The sun is not your friend so pack some sunscreen and apply apply apply. Drink alcohol in moderation and drink water like it's going out of fashion!


- Wear comfortable shoes that you don't mind getting a little scuffed and dirty. I have actually seen girls in stilletos at festivals...I know I shouldn't but I gawked!


- Get a good nights rest the night before, it's a long day often over 12hrs of non stop walking/standing/dancing. You need rest!


- Don't wear your best clothes, they will get dirty and possibly ruined. If your getting something new just go for a cheap option (I always get cheapy tops to wear).


There are so many other tips so if you have any comment below :) Most importantly have an amazing time! See bands you love, sing out loud and dance like no one is watching :)


I am currently trying to decide what i'm wearing to the festivals i'm attending so far it's denim shorts and my converse and some sort of long top (I like long for comfort and modesty). I haven't found a top yet but I know what I want. I have included a polyvore image showing festival style I think is comfortable and appropriate. This is my opinion however and may not work for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...