Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Coloured Hair? DIY Hair Chalking! Video Tutorial & Pictures


WARNING! This post is going to be quick pic heavy, but it kind of has to be to show the amazingness of DIY Hair Chalking!

I first saw this on Lauren Conrads website The Beauty Department  and i've wanted to try it out for ages, I eventually moseyed on down to my local arty crafty store (Riot Art & Craft) and found the Soft Pastels recommended for this look.

Let's take a trip down memory lane for a moment. When I was teenager; I loved having colourful hair I had pink, blue, green, purple, red... honestly, every colour under the sun. I trawled through my old photos, REAL PHOTOS...remember those? to bring you some of these doozies (bad eyebrows included!). Check out the last picture and my white nail polish, such a trend setter! 


So now you've seen my embarrassing photos, lets talk about how you do this! 

What you need:
  • Soft Pastels (Not oil pastels...they won't work)
  • Towel / Old Shirt
  • Water if your hair is dark
  • Gloves - Particularly if your using water. This does wash off your hands easily though!
  • Hair Straightener / Curling Iron - something with heat
  • Clarifying Shampoo (I've been using the Herbal Essences Drama Clean)

These are the Soft Pastels I used, I got a set of 48 for around $36 just check your local art/craft stores. They come in all varieties of sizes & colours.



How to do it:
  • If your blonde just go straight ahead and rub the chalk/pastels on your hair where you want the colour to go.
  • If you have darker hair, you need to wet the hair you'll be working with first and then rub the colour on.
  • If you've wet your hair and put the colour on, let it dry off. The colour will intensify as it dries, then your going to want to add some heat either with a hair straightener or curling iron. (TIP: If your hair is naturally curly, straighten it beforehand it will make putting the chalk on much easier)
That's pretty much it really, I also did a video tutorial on YouTube if you'd like to watch below:



So now I have some final pictures, on my own hair and also on my friend Angela (click her name to check out her blog). She has dark hair so was kind enough to be my guinea pig in making her hair a rainbow mess... a cool rainbow mess :)


Hope you enjoyed this post! If you give it a go i'd love to see your results :)





1 comment:

  1. TOTALLY LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!! I think I might have to give it a shot

    http://starlingbright.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...