Saturday, July 24, 2010

Product Review & Testing - Almay One Coat Dial Up Mascara

I uploaded the video for this on YouTube on the weekend but also wanted to give some extra thoughts and my review on the product here as well.

In the video I tested out the mascara for the first time, here are the results.. Enjoy my little blunder, I could have edited it out but i'm not at all perfect and would rather people see me as me then some edited version of me -



The product claims that each dial of the tube gives you a different level of fullness to your lashes, the way I think it works (I'm tempted to pull it apart to see if i'm right too) is that it contracts and expands the tube so you only get a certain amount of product on the wand for each click, I think that's why I found 2 & 3 to be quite similar in look.

Some of the comments I got on YouTube were that the advertisement of this product on television made it look as though you added a coat per every click, so that once you got to number 3 you had 3 coats of mascara on. I didn't interpret it this way from the instructions on the packaging however I did look at the television ad as well and can see how people would think this.

In the video I mentioned it was a pretty decent mascara, and yes on clicks 2 & 3 it gave a nice length and a bit of fullness to the lashes. However when I wore it out after i'd filmed the video and again the next day I noticed that the product had flaked considerably onto my cheeks...blah! My HG (Holy Grail) LashBlast doesn't do this so I wasn't impressed.

The other thing I didn't love and why I think it truly is a one coat thing is that when I did 2 coats of Dial 3 (let's be honest, it's the only dial i'll ever use because I like biiiig lashes) it clumped quite a bit and was hard to bring back. I think this might be a reason for the flakies as well.

I will continue using this one but I think it'll be a "weekend" mascara so that I don't have the embarrasing flakies on my cheeks while at work or out and about somewhere special.

Here are some photos taken of one coat on each step (just like I did it in the video)



Bare Lashes



One coat on Click 1 (full)



One Coat, Click 2 (fuller)



One Coat, Click 3 (fullest)



This is how it looks if you go through all 3 clicks with a layer on each click.... spidey eyes... ewww

This mascara is available at Priceline and costs around $20, I managed to get it during a promotion and it only cost me $14 which wasn't too hard on the pocket.

My overall verdict is that I probabaly won't repurchase this mascara and will happily stick with my LashBlast and no flakies. I think the dial up system is a little gimmicky and not something that really appeals to me, I know I always want full lashes so will generally always go for a mascara that promises that or in this case always use the highest setting. It would be good for people who do like a different intensity to their mascara; be it a less obvious look for the day and more fullness at night.

I give this product 2/5 Mascara Wands




This is something i'm going to try and do more of, videos & blog posts testing out products with advertising claims and see if they live up to the hype. Let me know if there is something in particular you want me to look into trying that you have seen advertised and are interested to know if it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...